Friday, December 16, 2011

Inspired by books: Her own personal Narnia

My 10 year old has been reading this book called "Mandy" by Julie Andrews Edwards. (Yes, that's the same as the Mary Poppins actress) It's about an orphan that finds an abandoned cottage and works to fix it up as her own little get-away haven.



We are lucky to have my parents nearby. They only live about 15 minutes away so the kids get to see them often. They have this fabulous yard, the kind that beggs for kids to be as they really are; adventurers, warriors, race car drivers, wizards and creators.

They have this plant in the yard (as seen in the picture) I don't know what it's called but they look like cat tails on steroids.







Since my daughter has been reading MANDY she has been taking care of this patch of vegetation and making it her own "Narnia" as she calls it.





She has woven mats out of blades from the plant.




she has even made some chairs (held together by tape) Don't they look like something straight out of Fairytopia?

The best part is that there is an open circle inside the plant. This is what she has REALLY been working on. It's her own fort. The place where she will put her chairs, mats and other decorations. She has spent hours on it already and she's still going strong.





But this is just the beginning! There are so many great books she has yet to discover. I can't wait to see what she'll come up with next.

It takes me back to my childhood. I loved making my own forts, hiding places and other worldly places.

What about you? Did you have your own world or . . . how were you inspired by books as a kid (or heck, even now?)

17 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Actually, your daughter is an inspiration. I’ll be thinking about what to make of it. We all need that space.

Donna Earnhardt said...

This is so neat! We have a space down behind our house that the kids have claimed as a combination of "Narnia" and "Terebithia".

I hope your sweetie has tons and tons of beautiful time in her new Narnia!

Nora MacFarlane said...

What fun!

When I was young we played Little House on the Prairie. There was a large pasture with horses between my friend's house and mine, with woods at one end of the pasture. We had a 'house' in the woods that was really a lean-to. It was decked out inside! Good memories!

C.R. Evers said...

Here's to finding your own space, Mirka! :0)

That sounds cool, Donna! Thanks!

Hi Nora!Those do sound like awesome memories!

Laura Pauling said...

My kids are always building their own forts and creating new worlds!

Jaye Robin Brown said...

What a fantastic Narnia world for your daughter. Forts of any type are made of awesome. Mind was made from raked walls of pine straw tucked in between a tight circle of trees. My son's was up in our woods and he and a buddy lashed together dead fall branches. Thanks for sharing these smile-making images.

C.R. Evers said...

Laura, your house sounds like fun. Can we come over and play? ;0)

Hi Jane! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your forts sound dreamy! :0)

Janelle said...

Love seeing your daughter's great fort. Christy! Reminds me of the metal two story pig pen that my cousin Connie and I cleaned up, carpeted, put stepping stones intertwined with moss and roses in front of, and spent an entire summer playing in. It was our magical princess house where we spied on the world and concocted all kinds of tales. NO BOYS ALLOWED! I suspect it came from a combination of books - a mix of C.S. Lewis's Narnia Chronicles, "The Secret Garden," and some Nancy Drew mysteries. : ) Hooray for the way that books take us places!

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

What a cool plant! I wouldn't mind having one in my yard. It seems like the perfect get-away reading spot.

Adrienne said...

I love your daughter's backyard crafts - it's always great for kids to have a place where their imaginations can run wild. That looks like a big patch of pampas grass, btw - we have it all over the place here.

Christina Farley said...

I love how children are so creative. Sometimes we as adults get so busy we forget to be creative. Great photos!

Marcia said...

What a wonderful, inspirational project! When I was a kid, our house was next to an empty lot filled with lots of great weeds, mice,etc. My BFF and I made up endless games there, and once we found bricks and built ourselves a house! It was a lot like Roxaboxen.

D.E. Malone said...

*This post reminds me of one of my favorite gardening books, Sunflower Houses, by Sharon Lovejoy. The author is full of ideas for creative gardening and play with children outdoors. The illustrations alone are a treat. I think that grass is a pampas grass, btw.
Love your blog and have been following for awhile. Just wanted you to let you know I gave you an award on my most recent post. Hoping others find your blog as entertaining as I do!
http://dawnmalone.blogspot.com

Tasha Seegmiller said...

This is really fun. I remember wanting to be like Nancy Drew - tried to solve all sorts of not really mysteries. Great post - new follower :)

Melissa Sugar said...

Wow, the book really inspired your daughter to do some amazing things. I am a new follower. I heard about you from the Liebster award.

Kim Van Sickler said...

Love your daughter's fort. When I was a kid we had a big tree with an ornamental rock set next to it. The limbs from the tree hung down and covered it and I would sit on the rock and read and watch what was going on without being detected. I felt invisible and powerful.

Angela Ackerman said...

Oh my goodness, that is the cutest thing ever! I love it when a book inspires a child!

Angela