Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Plz excuse the fact that I have no paragraph separation. When I changed my template last year I lost the ability to have separate paragraphs without the aid of a picture. It's sad. Why? Oh Why must these paragraphical ailments befall me? (hence the stars. I'm using stars to separate my paragraphs until I figure out how to do it or I find another blog site that isn't so difficult.) ******
YA book, Whisper Falls by Elizabeth Langston isn’t just eye candy. It’s a whole friggin’ 3 course meal! ******** “While training for a mountain bike race, high-school senior Mark Lewis spots a mysterious girl dressed in odd clothing, standing behind a waterfall in the woods near his North Carolina home. When she comments on the strange machine that he rides, he suspects something isn’t right. When Susanna claims to be an indentured servant from 1796, he wonders if she's crazy. Yet he feels compelled to find out more. ******** Mark enters a ‘long-distance’ relationship with Susanna through the shimmering--and temperamental--barrier of Whisper Falls. Curious about her world, Mark combs through history to learn about the brutal life she's trapped in. But knowledge can be dangerous. Soon he must choose between the risk of changing history or dooming the girl he can't stop thinking about to a lifetime of misery ***** Nom. . . nom . . . nom. . . nom . . . nom. **** ~Ahhhhhhhh~ Yummy! **** You get a hearty serving of 18th century North Carolina history, a big bowl full of contemporary magical realism with the perfect salty/sweet combo of strong characters and distinct voice. **** Am I in Heaven? **** Elizabeth Langston masterfully combines two of my favorite things. 1) History 2) Magical Realism **** Don’t think you’re getting jipped on history just because this is a work of fiction. No-sir-ee-bobby! The back of Ms. Langston’s book notes that she spent six years researching before she wrote a single word. Trust me. It shows. Even though Susannas' character is fictional, I still feel like I get a rich slice of what life would have been like for an indentured, female servant in the 18th century. **** If you or someone you know finds history boring. . . .this book needs to be read! It’s one of the most entertaining written works that melds the past with modern times. History, POOF! Magically brought to life! **** What’s even more fun? The setting of this book takes place in Umstead Park in Raleigh. A park that’s practically in my back yard and where I love to take hikes. ****
Reading this book has actually made my hikes more enjoyable. Who knew they could get better than they already are! **** Here’s a picture of my dog on one of our hikes in Umstead Park where the characters may or may not have walked. I like to think they were there. Makes my hikes more imaginative. **** Bravo Elizabeth Langston! I’m in love with this book! **** Dear, fellow blogster, why are you still here? You need to get your fancy little fingers over to Amazon or a book store or kindle or whatever . . . and get this book! Go now! Scat! Get reading! **** Oh! wait! There’s even better news. This isn’t a stand alone book. I’m about to read the follow up book, A Whisper in Time. Can’t wait!!!! ***In the mean time, I'll be looking for a blog service that allows paragraphs. I can't keep blogging this way!!!!!! ~ insert dramatic faint with back of right hand pressed to forehead.~ After all, a writer without proper paragraphs is like a debutante without the right shoes. Or a hardcore biker riding a moped, a tomboy wearing a sparkly pink skirt,a vampire after a full mouth tooth extraction, a zombie sipping a cloud cocktail . . . .

4 comments:

Leandra Wallace said...

Paragraphs are the devil! My problem is when I post, the paragraphs get all wonky and so when I go back in to separate them, it'll fix one part and then mess up the other. Grr. Anyway, Whisper Falls sounds like a super good read. And six years of research?! Awesome, I bet the historical detail is spot on then.

Vijaya said...

Oooh, I love historical time-travel, modern/historical meshing like this.

Kimbra Kasch said...

But it is some eye candy ;D Beautiful cover. And, if it helps with hiking...I'm all for it :D

Kelly Polark said...

Sounds like an intriguing book!
Cool photos!