Monday, February 4, 2008

Book Review: Letters from Rapunzel



Letters from Rapunzel is a story about a teenage girl trying to cope with her dad's clinical depression, or as she calls it, the "Evil Spell."

I would think that it would be difficult to write a book about clinical depression in a humorous way and still be able to maintain tact and as well as give the character an honest voice, but Sara Lewis Holmes manages not only to do it, but she does it well.

Some books string words together like strands of pearls. This book also strings gems together, but more like the glittering beads on an ornate Mardi Gras necklace; beautiful yet so colorful that you just can't help but smile. Here's one of my favorite descriptions in the book re: Rapunzel's aged neighbor lady:

"She's a retired real estate agent, but I think of her more like a retired Good Fairy."

I just love that! :0) There's lots of great little gems like that through out the whole book.

Loved it!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Hmmm. I didn't know that dealing with family depression was part of the theme of this book. Sounds like an important topic. I look forward to reading it. - Janelle