Thursday, July 10, 2008

Best Descriptions Award!


ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more

I love a description that makes me laugh, makes me think or creates a vivid picture with concise creativity and even better yet, inspires my own writing. Let's take a moment to pay tribute to some favorites:

And the Best Descriptions awards go to . . . . . .

The Best Description of a person goes to (insert drum roll here)
Midnight Magic by Avi (vivid description, humor, reveals personality)
"Everything about Mistress Weebly was small: small body; small face; small gimlet eyes; small noes. Her smallenss was emphasized by her being dressed in an overlarge, soiled gown of green that reached her ankles- sleeves pinched at her wrists, apron over all, wimple on her head. It was as if she hada been dropped into a dirty sack and was spying out from it. Indeed, the womans only largenss was her curiosity."


The Best Description for Scenery goes to (insert bonanza theme song here)
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babit (great imagery and mood setting)
"The sky was a ragged blaze of pin and orange, and its double trembled on the surface of the pond like color spilled from a paintbox."

The Best Description of Sound (insert Bethovens 5th)
Kneeknock Rise by Natalie Babit (creativity, concise, vivid, breaks free of rain cliches)
"In the sudden wind, raindrops pelted his window like handfuls of berries."

The Best Descripton of a Dragon (Insert music to the chicken dance here)
Bitterwood by Janes Maxey (great visual imagery with concise language)
"His scarred skin sagged over his skeleton, under which his slender, wiry muscles moved like thick ropes."


Feel free to add any of your favorites in the comments! I loooove a good description


4 comments:

Angela Ackerman said...

One of my favorite books for description is Troll Fell by Katherine Langrish. I can't quote a specific passage, but the writing is so vivid and the setting is so well drawn, it's worth reading just for the description!

Mary Witzl said...

Isn't this awful? I LOVE good descriptions too, and here I am unable to come up with a single one.

But I'm happy to see that Natalie Babit got two votes here.

Kate said...

Is poetry allowed? A verse from one of my favourite poems 'Neutral Tones' by Thomas Hardy (oldie but goodie)-

"The smile on your mouth was the deadest thing

Alive enough to have strength to die;

And a grin of bitterness swept thereby

Like an ominous bird a-wing. . . ."

C.R. Evers said...

Angela - I"ve never read Troll Fell before. I need to put that on my TBR list!

Mary - I loooove Natalie Babit. She is a master of description!

Kate - Poetry definatly counts! I have no doubt that my favorite descriptions have roots in the poetic form! What a beautiful verse. thanks for sharing!