Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Eenie, meenie, miney, moe. Le Guin, Avi, Goldman, Poe?


OK, Poe is good, but his name is only in the title because it rhymes with "moe".

Here's the deal. I'm axiously awaiting Friday. (is it Friday yet?) I'm attending my very first writing retreat where there will be 23 other serious writers, many already published. And, I'm going to get a one on one critique with Krista Moreno, editor at Delacourte. (is it Friday yet?) I'm looking sooooo forward to a weekend of writing, making connections, learning and getting inspired.

On Friday evening there will be a "get to know each other" time. We will each tell what our favorite read was in 2007 and why. (is it Friday yet?)

At first, my reaction was "hands down, A Wizardof Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin. Her imagery, the character construction, the language. It's an all around beautifully written book.

But then. . . when I was looking back at my notes (yes, I'm a nerd and take notes on what I like about what I read.) and there are a couple other books that inspired and taught me just as much, if not more as A Wizard of Earthsea. (friday? here yet?)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman was funny, fun and brilliant! I loved his character descriptons that not only told the reader what they looked like, but also embodied the characters personality as well. His use of description/ humor, adventure and language drew me into the book. It was probably the most fun read of the year and I learned some stuff about writing along the way. This was also the book I took the most notes on. (surely it's Friday now. I've been waiting FOREVER!)

But wait! there's one more in the running!

Crispin and the Cross of Lead by Avi. I loved Avi's poetic language. This is historical fiction yet I felt like I was reading fantasy. (that's a good thing.) I also enjoyed, and learned a lot from this book. I tend to refer back to this book the most when I get stuck in my current WIP.

But then . . . There's also the Merlin trilogy by Jane Yolen; Gossamer, The Giver, Gathering Blue and The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry; Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. . . .

How do I choose? Maybe I'll just pick Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopy Pants, and be done with it. ;0P

No comments: