Monday, May 26, 2008

Bouncing Baby Butterflies!!!!!!!

Yes. The proud moment has arrived! All five of my caterpillars . . . er. . . um . . . I mean my KIDS caterpillars are now butterflies. 4 of them yesterday and the last one came out today.


How does it happen? You ask.


I'm so glad you asked such a good question, so I'll tell you. I just happen to have some pictures to share as visual aides.

First, notice the cocoon on the bottom. Do you see the stripes? Those stripes are signs that the cocoon is stretching and that the butterfly will soon emerge.
When the wing pattern becomes visible, as it is on the bottom cocoon, the butterfly is only mintues away from making it's big debut!

It happens fast! I didn't get picture of the buttefly coming out, because I was video taping it. Don't laugh. Yes I video taped it. There's nothing wrong with it. It's very educational and . . . I'm a nerd. I like that kind of thing.

If I can figure out how to get my video on You Tube, I'll share the butterfly coming out of his cocoon. I haven't figured that out yet.

We now have 5 beautiful bouncing baby, painted lady butterflies fluttering around our butterfly house. In a couple of days they will have had plenty of flying practice and we'll set them free. Right now, they are hopping around and trying to figure out how to use their wings.


2 comments:

Maggie said...

that is way kool! (from one geek to another). I think I saw a butterfly cocoon on a branch. I'm going to keep an eye on it - any suggestions? (you know, if I cut it and bring it into the house, something truly yuky and ugly, like a super hairy arachnid would come crawling out.)

C.R. Evers said...

Hey maggie!

A small mesh bag, the kind they sell in the laundry isle at the grocery store, is a good thing to keep it in. You may want to find a way to keep the cocoon hanging, rather than laying it on the ground. The hanging helps them when it's time to come out of the cocoon.

When they come out, if you want to keep them for a couple of days, just put in some fresh flowers and a little cup of sugar water or sprite for food. That's all they need.

have fun! I hope it's a butterfly and not a creepie crawlie! ;0P