Friday, January 23, 2009

I LUV this book! The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

A Semi-Review (no spoilers included)

Ever thought of challenging unwritten social rules?
Ever wanted to show up the people who underestimate your abilities?
Ever want to make things happen. . .
get people to care about things. . .
know that you can make a difference?
Gain respect from the top dog?

Yes? Then You'll LOVE Frankie Landau-Banks.

As a writer, this book is a great example of characterization, pacing and plot. I also liked her use of comparison and contrast.

I read this book thinking "This is the girl I wish I was in High School. Heck! It's the girl I wish I was now!" But even though this character is so different from me, I could also relate. She did so many things she shouldn't have, but I understood why she did them. I was rooting for her the whole way. We see the worst and the best in this character, but the best books are the ones that make the characters feel real. Are they not? Characters that are too precious and too perfect are normally boring and preachy. Frankie's real, she's relatable, she faces the consequences head on and she's got guts.


I will concede. . . when I finished the book I (only at first) didn't like the ending. I connected with Frankie, so I wanted her to have it all. Wanted her to have more in the end. (I'm not going to say how it ends. I don't want to spoil it for you)

BUT . . .
When I closed the back cover, I kept thinking about it. I thought. I thunk. . .
got thinker, thinkier and thinkiest . . .
(This is my blog so the above words are hereby deemed correct)

I couldn't stop thinking about the book and really, I had to get honest with myself. The ending HAD to be the way it was. It is a good ending. It's just not the one I wanted because of how "into" the character I was. If Lockhart was going to stay true to the underlying themes of self empowerment and challenging the unwritten social norms, and Frankie needed to face consequences for her actions. . . then the way it ended was, indeed, the best possible ending.

But you'll have to read it for yourself.

But be forewarned, if you go to the library, you'll probably have to be put on a wait list. This book is hot!


11 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one that I keep meanign to read--good to know it will be worth my time.

Adrienne said...

I'd like to read that!
I had a similar experience with the ending of Life of Pi - so many people hated it, but I thought it fit perfectly with the theme of the book.

Kelly Polark said...

That sounds like a good one! I'll put it on my To Read list this year!

ian sands said...

I liked your blog better when it was all about me

:)

Samantha said...

Thanks! I'm looking more "adult" books to read. I'm up to my ears in YA and middle grade, although I just got the Sookie Stackhouse books. I'll put it on my list.

Man, I need a library card...

Rena Jones said...

Sounds like a great book. Don't you just love those stories that keep you wanting more even when they're over?

LOL @ Ian's reply.

PJ Hoover said...

Ditto what Beth said. After your recommendation, I will definitely add it to my list!

Angela said...

It's on my list too!!!

Bish Denham said...

Oh boy...another book to had to my list! I love thinker, thinkier, thinkiest!

Paul Michael Murphy said...

Like it a lot too.

Corey Schwartz said...

Glad to hear its good. My copy arrived from Amazon yesterday! :)