Monday, March 3, 2008

To retreat or not to retreat? That is the question. (I'll know the answer by March 10th)


I signed up for my very first weekend retreat in Chapel Hill, NC. There are only 24 participants, so if more than that sign up they will choose via lottery. So, I won't know if I'm "in" until March 10th.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope I get in! There will be 3 editors in attendance and participants will receive a one on one critique with one of the editors. Since I've been on this writing journey I've come to appreciate any feedback I can get from editors. It's GOLDEN! I hate wondering what an editor thinks. I want to KNOW! How can I make my manuscripts better unless I really know what an editor is thinking? This is the #1 reason I'm excited to go.

#2 reason for wanting to attend: it seems like contacts in this business are about as important as good writing skills. I need to make more contacts.

#3 reason: I'm also excited about the prospect of having a full weekend to concentrate on writing and not have to worry about cooking or cleaning or worrying about anything else except developing my craft.

While I wait to find out if I'm "in" or not, I'm starting to do my homework. I want to become familiar with the editor's works so I picked up some books that were edited by those who will attend the conference:

Martha Mihalick - Greenwillow/HarperCollins:
Chase, by Jessee Haas
and
The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous, by Suzanne Crowley

Sarah Shumway - Dutton/Penguin
The Beasts of Clawstone Castle by Eva Ibbotson

Krista Marino - Delacorte/Random House
The Alchemyst, The Secrets of the Imortal Nicholas Flamel, by Michael Scott

I like to read, so even if I don't get in, there's no time lost. Plus, Martha Mihalik will also be at the Annual Carolina's SCBWI Conference in September, so I can prepare for that as well.

I better stop typing. I've got some reading to do!

2 comments:

Karen Lee said...

Christy! You need it! You need the time and the attention from those editors. Fingers crossed for you.

Janelle said...

Fingers crossed for YOU Christy, and for me. :) Glad to see you've come on over to blogger.

Smart idea reading up on the Editor's works! Brilliant!