Monday, June 16, 2008

It's my BlogDay!!!

z


One year ago today I started this blog. I don't really know what prompted the blog. I wasn't sure what to write about. I had friends with blogs and I enjoyed reading those. I'm a writer. Heck. The thought of being able to write about anything made me giddy. I always have journals going at home. I figured that a blog is like a type of journal. So, I dedicated the blog to: art, writing, and creativity in general, but I really didn't know if I had anything worth saying. I was surprised to find that I've encountered some unexpected blessings from keeping a blog.


Here's what they are:

1) I learned not to care if anyone thinks if I have anything "worth" saying. I'm learning to find my authorial voice and I'm having fun doing it. (I normally care about what people think, so this is a big deal for me.) I've noticed that my older posts are a little more stiff and rigid, from caring too much about how I sound or look, and I've become more spontanious and free. More me-ish.

2) Blogging has been a creative writing exercise. It gets me warmed up for my current WIP.

3) I've made some really cool contacts from blogging. Something I never anticipated. It's priceless and fun!

4) Blogging about the things I've learned in conferences and workshops helps me to digest and internalize the things that I've learned.

5) This blog has also become a place where I feel like I can lend support to other writers, whether they be successful authors, aspiring writers or somewhere in between. Book reviews are a form of support for authors. I especially like it when I can do a review for an author that I've met in person or online. That just makes it extra special.

I also hope that my shared info helps aspiring writers during their on-line searches. Lord knows I've had my share of frustrations of googling info on editors, publishers or other things that I wanted to know only to come up empty handed. I truly hope some of the info on this blog will be useful. If it's entertaining as well . . . that's a bonus! :0)

AND. . . to top it off, it just so happens that I found out today that I won a captions contest over at YA Fresh. Can this Blogday get any better? :0) I love this blog. The owners, Authors Tina Ferraro and Kelly Parra not only entertain, but they also support other authors by hosting contests with book giveaways. They don't just give away their own books. They support their fellow authors by giving away their books! They've inspired me by their selfless support and deserve a great big "Shout Out" for what they do! This captions contest was so cute! You need to check out all the entries. they are a hoot! :0)


9 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

Happy blog day!

My own blog isn't really a blog for writers, it's a place where I can come when I'm tired of rewriting and need a break. I figure that procrastination through writing isn't as big a waste of my time as calling up a friend and yakking.

The blessings I've earned through blogging are pretty much what you describe except for number 1. I've been working on that one since high school. You may find that the older you get, the less you care what others think about you. For me, this is one of the greatest things about getting old. And thank God for that, because ageing isn't all skittles and beer.

Bish Denham said...

Congratulations Christy!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks for the shout-out about YA FRESH! Kelly and I have a wonderful time with our blog, and we appreciate the support of readers and writers and friends (and LOVE doing giveaways).

I'm relatively new at blogging, too--maybe 18 months--and I've also seen a change in my style as time as gone on. I'm much more relaxed...having much more fun with it these days.

And hey, if you hadn't started this blog, I wouldn't have found you through a "Krista Marino" search, and we'd never be friends. It was karma! :)

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Happy blog day!!!

C.R. Evers said...

Hey guys! Thanks for stopping by!

Tina, It had never crossed my mind that I'd be able to make cool friends, like you, through my blog! That was a total bonus! :0)

Christy

Jacqui said...

Happy belated Blog Day!

C.R. Evers said...

Thanks Jacqui! :0)

Anonymous said...

now i`ll read your rss

Anonymous said...

в итоге: благодарю... а82ч